06 Ranger 4x4 Clown Truck

I didn’t know you owned this banana hammock, how rad! My bedsides are the original ones off this, before Eddie went McQueen. They’re all chipped and scraped and the yellow is starting to show through now.

Did you ever use a weight distribution hitch with your super hitch extension?
Negative, probably would of been a good idea but I never had any issues or felt like it was dangerous......the only thing that ever gave me a butt pucker moment was having the 2 5/16" ball come loose and almost come out of the hitch after towing a 2 door JK up to Bowman with the camper/hitch extension and hitting way to many dirt roads....I caught it, but it was scary, that hitch/ball ended up getting welded together with about 50 thousand passes, been solid ever since.

Idk if you've fixed the trans yet or not but pretty sure your overdrive servo shit the bed. You've most likely lost 2nd as well but it is hard to notice. https://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/store/p28/Ford_Ranger,_Explorer_Sport_and_Explorer_Sport_Trac_-_Not_for_6R66_6_Speed_Transmission.html
Ok tranny guru's or someone with more intelligence....I went to check both of the servos and I have removed them on these trannies in the past and they came right out....soooo I pushed the cap in, got the snap rings off, and now the servo caps/servos are both stuck in but I can rotate the caps....tried blaster then put some heat to the case, nothing is coming back out, as far as I remember they have spring pressure behind them and should pop out. I would really like to at least verify or check if these are bad.....I also dropped the pan and there is also no glitter or broken stuff in there, fluid smells perfect... I guess my next move is dropping the valve body to see if I can apply air somewhere to push them out i should probably check the separator plate anyways.......

keep in mind I am beyond pissed off at working on a 5r55e in another ranger for the millionth time (hence buying the 5.0 expo), lots of cursing, the dogs are scared, neighbors are walking by staring at me, etc...

Trying to drive it a little more before I start the explorer swap....which has coincidentally become my dd cause the diesel is gunna have the camper left on it until I need it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240102_142751630.jpg
    IMG_20240102_142751630.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240102_142831432.jpg
    IMG_20240102_142831432.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 19
Ok tranny guru's or someone with more intelligence....I went to check both of the servos and I have removed them on these trannies in the past and they came right out....soooo I pushed the cap in, got the snap rings off, and now the servo caps/servos are both stuck in but I can rotate the caps....tried blaster then put some heat to the case, nothing is coming back out, as far as I remember they have spring pressure behind them and should pop out. I would really like to at least verify or check if these are bad.....I also dropped the pan and there is also no glitter or broken stuff in there, fluid smells perfect... I guess my next move is dropping the valve body to see if I can apply air somewhere to push them out i should probably check the separator plate anyways.......

keep in mind I am beyond pissed off at working on a 5r55e in another ranger for the millionth time (hence buying the 5.0 expo), lots of cursing, the dogs are scared, neighbors are walking by staring at me, etc...

Trying to drive it a little more before I start the explorer swap....which has coincidentally become my dd cause the diesel is gunna have the camper left on it until I need it.
Try some CRC freeze off or freeze spray on the cap to see if it will contract. Has worked for a few guys on some explorer forums. Have you tried adjusting the bands?

Try some CRC freeze off or freeze spray on the cap to see if it will contract. Has worked for a few guys on some explorer forums. Have you tried adjusting the bands?
Freeze spray is a great idea, I can definitely do that, I'll see about trying that tomorrow...I didn't try adjusting the bands yet but that could be something to give a shot.... unfortunately it's under the carport not in the garage so my tolerance for rainy/cold weather is growing low.

Freeze spray was a great idea and got it to move a tiny bit while tapping it then heat then PB then sit then freeze again and so forth....fuckers are stuck, guess I am going after loosening the bands but it started to rain and is supposed to snow.....so I went in the garage to chunk away at a project 66 Continental fuel injection swap.... Apparently the tank was damaged and I found it sealed up with silicone........remove silicone and get pissed in the face by old gas.

Fuck this. Try again in 6 months.

In the meantime I am daily driving the reliable cheap donor beater AWD explorer I bought to swap in the 5.0 to the ranger and totally enjoying it...fits my son, 2 German shepherds, and me comfortably, all while not giving a single fuk about it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240102_142831432.jpg
    IMG_20240102_142831432.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 9
Well I backed the bands off and it did no good to get the servos out so I went ahead and dropped Valve body and it's got spots on the gasket starting to seperate so that's hella cool....but I did get the servos out, they had to be physically pushed out with a good amount of pressure from the inside which makes me wonder if the case is oval'd out from the servos but I dunno, the spring pressure pushing outwards was also doing nothing, the rear one has a split in the seal too.

So now I am at a crossroads, either replace the tranny again or try to throw parts at it, both options suck. My other option is to start the swap but I really like the explorer and it's my DD since the dually just isn't feasible to commute with or really use for anything other than it's intended uses. My other option is buying a wrecked 4wd 5speed if I can find one to swap.....all options suck.

Worst possible scenario I sell the damn truck and never ever buy another A-Arm 4wd ranger as long as I live, I have had every known issue happen to me so far besides timing chain issues... more than once.

Attachments

• IMG_20240123_144337185.jpg
    IMG_20240123_144337185.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240123_144355356.jpg
    IMG_20240123_144355356.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240123_144950917.jpg
    IMG_20240123_144950917.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 7
I think you can probabaly buy a reman from Ford cheaper than fixing it. I would leave it automatic. The case can be worn out too (in the rear) causing issues; in the long run getting a reman from Ford is cheaper.

This is why I only build race transmissions that I know and I delete all electronics etc. LOL.

All vehicles suck. The newer, the more complicated and issues they have. But everyone loves all the dumb options ha ha! I just want air conditioning and that's it. The more basic the better.

Worst possible scenario I sell the damn truck and never ever buy another A-Arm 4wd ranger as long as I live, I have had every known issue happen to me so far besides timing chain issues... more than once.
I'd sell it and buy a badass built/linked bronco!

Seriously though, just throw another trans in it and drive it nicely.

I think you can probabaly buy a reman from Ford cheaper than fixing it. I would leave it automatic. The case can be worn out too (in the rear) causing issues; in the long run getting a reman from Ford is cheaper.

This is why I only build race transmissions that I know and I delete all electronics etc. LOL.

All vehicles suck. The newer, the more complicated and issues they have. But everyone loves all the dumb options ha ha! I just want air conditioning and that's it. The more basic the better.
Probably what I will have to end up doing, just sucks this will be number 3....I would buy a "built 4wd 5r55e" if that was even an option but since basically nobody supports them then I am stuck with a reman timebomb made of glass....this one was rebuilt using the original case so maybe that had something to do with the failure I dunno,kinda makes me think so since the servos were stuck in there and probably caught on a lip in the case..

I'd sell it and buy a badass built/linked bronco!

Seriously though, just throw another trans in it and drive it nicely.
I'd give my left nut to have my bronco back, divorce sucked and that thing kept my head above water at the time....I still talk to the guy who bought it and it's still not completely done...he's planning on selling it in the 120k range once it's complete so that's a nice little jab in my side to constantly think of.

As for driving nice,well its now at the point that I won't really be enjoying driving the truck for fear of losing the trans again. This thing was seeing commuter use for 5-6 months after the new trans and I saw the overdrive light flash more than once, fluid never smelled but knew it was a timebomb

i have not had much problem with my 5r55e. had it rebuilt once in 10+ years. i never drive it with over drive anywhere but highways. its the 1st thing i turn off after starting. i think even tho the trans is not in the overdrive "gear" it effects how the trans works. tried to have it auto not on but steve at powertrain dynamics said he could not do it. also i run type F fluid. also keep it cold. nothing over 200

i have not had much problem with my 5r55e. had it rebuilt once in 10+ years. i never drive it with over drive anywhere but highways. its the 1st thing i turn off after starting. i think even tho the trans is not in the overdrive "gear" it effects how the trans works. tried to have it auto not on but steve at powertrain dynamics said he could not do it. also i run type F fluid. also keep it cold. nothing over 200
I live up in the hills between Sac and Reno and off two private roads that are worse than the rubicon, this truck sees 4wd daily when it's running and the overdrive is off 99% of the time around my area, I am also surrounded by off highway trails....if/when commuting down in the flats I just make sure it's not "lugging" or "chasing gears" via the right rpm range if the OD is on.....gotta keep in mind it was nothing for me to commute 4-6 hours in a day to SF or Reno then hit a trail or two on the way home. I bought this thing to do everything not just a weekend warrior but so far the beatup 228k mile explorer is winning in the "everything" dept. I have been told more than once that I'd be a great candidate for durability testing.

I never looked into a different fluid type, I have always stuck with manufacturers recommendations, the only thing I have picked up was a rather large factory 6.0 trans cooler I intended on putting in but the trans said goodbye before I got a chance.

Put it this way as of right now the truck has a bent spindle, leaking cv, leaking front diff, 3rd blown trans, rear driveshaft needs to be fixed/balanced, howling noise from the 9", waiting for timing chains to take a vacation, aftermarket alarm system needs to be pulled out, ac is out, etc....I dunno, maybe I just need to get some of the guys over for a day of thrashing on this thing so I stop singing the sob story and have my stupid yellow truck back.

FWIW I was forced to take a year off work for health issues and once back at work with more cashflow I'll probably just have a shop put a new/reman warrantied transmission in it....doing this job on my back over n over is getting old.

Last edited:
Back