what welder should i get?

88WhiteTurd

Hey guys, so I'm in the market for a new welder, I recently fixed some crash damage with a 110 welder and didn't realize that wasn't enough power. but fortunately, I am lucky enough to have 220 outlets in my garage, so I want to step up to that. I would like a multi-process machine but what I'm not sure of is if they make a MiG and tig in one machine or if they just make tig machines that do stick. also, I wouldn't mind buying used but my problem is I don't know what to look for to tell if a welder could be bad or broken. any info will help thankyou for reading :))

there are some decent deals for used ones but i personally have not had the best luck buying used machines.

Depends on your budget and what you are looking for. I am not well versed in the multi process machines. Personally i have a dedicated Tig and a mig welder.

I am running the Miller 211 which is dual voltage (works both on 110 and 220) and its light and small enough to be portable.

If you are looking for something cheaper i have heard decent things about the everlast machines.

that makes sense I think for the sake of simplicity if I had to choose one machine it would be Mig but having different machines sounds like a better idea thanks

there are some decent deals for used ones but i personally have not had the best luck buying used machines.

Depends on your budget and what you are looking for. I am not well versed in the multi process machines. Personally i have a dedicated Tig and a mig welder.

I am running the Miller 211 which is dual voltage (works both on 110 and 220) and its light and small enough to be portable.

If you are looking for something cheaper i have heard decent things about the everlast machines.
and with that miller, I would be able to do structural stuff to my truck like install the LT kit and cage and stuff?

Oh yes. It will weld up to 3/8 thick.

ive welded lower links, beams, etc with it. Its a very strong machine. Most of the truck stuff you will see is anywhere from 1/8-3/16 thick. Occasionally 1/4" on some things if absolutely neeeded.

If you plan on welding thicker stuff with it i would look into a 220v only machine- either a 252 or a 255. They are significantly more expensive though and they are not portable.

I recently purchased a Hobart 200 multiprocess. It does Mig/ dc Tig/ stick. It is also multi voltage so you can to 110/220, and small enough to carry around fairly easy. I think it retails for around 1500 but I got mine used. Very happy with it so far.

Ive been happy with my everlast stuff. I have a powerpro 164 thats almost 15 years old at this point and still running well enough for me to realize I'm a bad tig welder. The plasma cutter works great and it does stick if thats a positive.

I also had a imig 140e that was a kickass little 110 welder. It weighed almost nothing and would run decent on a 15a 110 circuit.

I recently upgraded that to a cyclone 212 and its been great so far. It lays nice beads and the autoset is nice if you change wire all the time. The autoset does usually take some adjustment if you are running weird stuff like flux core stainless wire but its pretty good at getting you close enough to where you can just play with fine tuning.

I should say, I am not in a production shop so ymmv but for the price I can't argue with what I have gotten out of them.

Sean

I'd say Everlast or Hobart. I just picked up a Hobart 210MVP with a free helmet from Blane's Farm and Fleet for $1000 to replace my 25 year old Lincoln 175 plus. It's not a multi process but it is a good mig machine.

I have a Millermatic 212 MIG and have never had any issues, even with zero maintenance (I’m a Toyota guy, so maintenance isn’t part of my routine). I paid ~$1500 for it brand new in 2010 and it was worth the money. If you think you may want to upgrade to a bigger machine at some point, just do it now if space allows. Buy one, cry once.

While I’ve never bought a used machine, I can’t see dudes who would use a welder such as the 212 or 252 being scum bags when selling. They’d likely let you know if there are any issues. Everlast boys though - I’d be weary of them.

I took a gamble on the Eastwood 180 amp mig, but for $530 after discount I am happy with it. It has the 110/220V option, small and lightweight, so it would be good for moving around. I'll have to report back if it has any issues later down the road.

Something to consider, a lot of the multi-process machines only have DC tig.

I have the Harbor Freight Vulcan MIG215. Does 120/240v. Has an auto mode and manual mode. Seems like all the replacement parts (gun, tips, attachments, etc...) are standard industry issue so replacement parts for the most part are universal. Comes with gas lines, gas regulator and small spools of wire (or at least mine did when I bought mine). I've been using it for years and so far so good. $900 but HF is pumping out a 25% coupon right now that drops it down to $650. Not a bad deal IMO.

Back