Texas Desert Racer (idiot working himself to death)

Whiplashrace

Whats up forum! I want to introduce myself, my name is Joe Hunt, Texas native, i race a 1450 truck with my best friend Jeff Holt as my navigator, here within the Texas state lines with STORR (el paso) and TDRA (central west texas). I got started in quads growing up on polaris scrambler 500s and eventually made my way to desert trucks. After attending the 2017 TDRA west texas 250 as a volunteer for recovery, I immediately went back home and started off down this road of building my own desert racing truck. I was hooked. I started out in a 1991 TTB ranger on deavers and coilovers, that truck never finished a race before i retired it and built a 1450 truck (my current truck) out of an 01 tundra. I wont go crazy on details, but in the process of learning how to do all this, i became a fabricator and landed a job as lead fabricator for an old buddy of mine building chromoly drag car chassis and SXS cages for a couple years (Blue Fire Motorsports) i left there to go back to working for the family business because my dad needed me, but i couldnt stand the idea of setting aside my passion for off road fabrication to be a body man.

So i started Whiplash Racing & Fabrication.

Now i am booked into March with the side gig, and we are slammed with hail work at the day job. I work 8-5 weekdays at the family business (1hr 20mins from home, 140 mile round trip every day) and then go home and work 7-10 in my shop at home building prerunner stuff, roll cages, desert racer buggy stuff, you name it. For two main reasons-
1. To hold true to my passion
2. To make money to afford to go racing

That being said, yall can probably assume the kind of guy i am. I am a build it yourself, save no money, anything to get a race finish type of guy.

And im doing it all in my home state of Texas, where the desert is minimum 6hr drive away, there are no other 1450 trucks in my class on race day, and when i need fiberglass or desert/prerunner parts, i pay cali prices on a texas budget and then the 18 wheeler ride all the way here. There is no kartek, there are no desert fab shops, there are no swap meets. I wont go into a whole story about how badly Texas Desert Racing needs a saviour, ill make a whole seperate thread on that topic one day.

For now, i just wanted to give yall a rundown of the deal with me, im glad to be a part of this forum and look forward to all the information i can access here and hopefully even attending one or two of the events out west with yall here soon.

Ill attach files of my racetruck, try not to judge my work on that truck, i built it many years ago with a hand plasma and a MIG welder. It is not a good example of my work, and hasnt been for years. Im working on building a new chassis already, a 4130 centermount 60” link squarebody chevy kind of chassis.

Check out my instagram!!
@whiplashracingtexas
@huntjose

Attachments

• 8517BCC2-2889-4D31-B508-97B73FE28B15.jpeg
    8517BCC2-2889-4D31-B508-97B73FE28B15.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 11
  • B99AF24B-4F73-49FE-8A94-FD9C1000CA4F.jpeg
    B99AF24B-4F73-49FE-8A94-FD9C1000CA4F.jpeg
    476.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 4100DD78-B3BC-47E6-8284-1B180E2D4A4C.jpeg
    4100DD78-B3BC-47E6-8284-1B180E2D4A4C.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DE8678CC-1C4D-49AD-9F13-4F272C0D4ACF.jpeg
    DE8678CC-1C4D-49AD-9F13-4F272C0D4ACF.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 12
Whats up forum! I want to introduce myself, my name is Joe Hunt, Texas native, i race a 1450 truck with my best friend Jeff Holt as my navigator, here within the Texas state lines with STORR (el paso) and TDRA (central west texas). I got started in quads growing up on polaris scrambler 500s and eventually made my way to desert trucks. After attending the 2017 TDRA west texas 250 as a volunteer for recovery, I immediately went back home and started off down this road of building my own desert racing truck. I was hooked. I started out in a 1991 TTB ranger on deavers and coilovers, that truck never finished a race before i retired it and built a 1450 truck (my current truck) out of an 01 tundra. I wont go crazy on details, but in the process of learning how to do all this, i became a fabricator and landed a job as lead fabricator for an old buddy of mine building chromoly drag car chassis and SXS cages for a couple years (Blue Fire Motorsports) i left there to go back to working for the family business because my dad needed me, but i couldnt stand the idea of setting aside my passion for off road fabrication to be a body man.

Now i am booked into March with the side gig, and we are slammed with hail work at the day job. I work 8-5 weekdays at the family business (1hr 20mins from home, 140 mile round trip every day) and then go home and work 7-10 in my shop at home building prerunner stuff, roll cages, desert racer buggy stuff, you name it. For two main reasons-

That being said, yall can probably assume the kind of guy i am. I am a build it yourself, save no money, anything to get a race finish type of guy.

And im doing it all in my home state of Texas, where the desert is minimum 6hr drive away, there are no other 1450 trucks in my class on race day, and when i need fiberglass or desert/prerunner parts, i pay cali prices on a texas budget and then the 18 wheeler ride all the way here. There is no kartek, there are no desert fab shops, there are no swap meets. I wont go into a whole story about how badly Texas Desert Racing needs a saviour, ill make a whole seperate thread on that topic one day.

For now, i just wanted to give yall a rundown of the deal with me, im glad to be a part of this forum and look forward to all the information i can access here and hopefully even attending one or two of the events out west with yall here soon.

Ill attach files of my racetruck, try not to judge my work on that truck, i built it many years ago with a hand plasma and a MIG welder. It is not a good example of my work, and hasnt been for years. Im working on building a new chassis already, a 4130 centermount 60” link squarebody chevy kind of chassis.

Check out my instagram!!
@whiplashracingtexas
@huntjose
459E8BDE-9E90-418B-9C0F-0C44D6CD1D2B.jpeg

Check out my instagram!!
@whiplashracingtexas
@huntjose

Attachments

• 60DA7AB9-6825-4336-A04B-EFDE6CFE122A.jpeg
    60DA7AB9-6825-4336-A04B-EFDE6CFE122A.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 7

Check out my instagram!!
@whiplashracingtexas
@huntjose

Attachments

• 2FF148BC-58A0-4F39-B8A8-7591CB561148.jpeg
    2FF148BC-58A0-4F39-B8A8-7591CB561148.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 10

Check out my instagram!!
@whiplashracingtexas
@huntjose

Back