Sway control on aluminum A frame trailer

WW_RANGER_X

Hey guys. I’ve got a small project in the shop that I need some advice on. A customer brought in his brand new Intech Magnolia travel trailer for a sway control setup. I’ve done a ton of them, but never on an aluminum frame. It’s a pretty basic install. The sway control comes with a ball bracket that self taps into the frame. What I’m worried about is the aluminum being too soft to self tap into. Would it be wise to drill all the way through to run a nut/bolt, or maybe overlay plate the frame in that area so the material is thicker? Also thought about welding in sleeves so if I run a bolt though it doesn’t pinch the frame when I tighten it. Let me know if I’m not explaining this well enough lol. You’ll notice in my picture that the frame is already plated, but that is for a saddle style weight distribution hitch. I only have 24” to work with and those plates are too far away. Trying to do this as easy as possible without a ton of labor time. I can do all the prep work and I have an employee who tig welds really good. The difference could BE $200 or $800 so I gotta get it right for the guy.

IMG_4013.jpeg

Here’s the style I use.

IMG_4021.jpeg

Call Curt, it's not your problem to solve or liabilty to assume.

But I would through-bolt it and forgo any sleeves as that plate will likely only see shear loads and not much trying to rip it away from the face.

Went for it and just drilled some holes and ran 3/8” grade 8 bolts instead of the supplied self tappers. The coupler is through bolted so I don’t see why this should be any different. Just me over thinking again lol.

IMG_4246.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4245.jpeg
    IMG_4245.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4244.jpeg
    IMG_4244.jpeg
    435.5 KB · Views: 5
Back