Off Road 101 - Trail Etiquette

dwphoto

Administrator
So idea I had a few weeks back to kind of parlay the what to pack thread.

A few things that could be useful bits of info to help share the masses. Some of these things may seem obvious and redundant to the seasoned veterans. But let’s remember you gotta start somewhere. Some folks have been doing off-roading related things their entire life. Some guys like me went on their first off road trip in my 20s. Goal here is to help everyone level up.

First edition of this “long form” video
Covers

1. Positive attitude
2. Prep your truck
3. Bring tools
4. Wait at the turns for the person behind you
5. Have a radio for communication

what do you have to add?

Thoughts, feelings.

Elliott

wear a fucking helmet if you're not in a truck, buggy and or golf cart (FakeZR that is)................ quad/dirt bike specifically

(you might have said that, i cant listen to the video at the moment that i post this. so, excuse me if its included)

When people wave at you as they pass by, they’re not saying hi. Count the fingers. That’s how many other rigs are following behind them

***when they wave A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF FINGGGIES AT YOU, they're telling you how many are behind***
from what i've learned in all my 20+ years of being off-road, more people are giving a friendly "Hi" wave.
i do appreciate when their blatantly suggesting the number 1, 2, 3, or 4 though. then, yes, God is right. how many people are behind them.

but dont take a friendly wave as a "theirs 5 people behind me, so make sure you look for 5". hah

I am doing a whole series on teachable moments through Clean-Dezert. Most of it being etiquette, Such as hand signals, dont burn pallets ect.

The biggest part for this is to do it in such a way that the younger more "know it all" part of the sport might listen and pick something up... And i only say this because that was me at age 20-30... heck still me now. How do we make it cool and not old guys trying to make offroading dumb.

Air down when hit dirt. If for nothing else but the ride improvement. But mainly low pressure helps keep tires planted and increases contact patch. Don't be afraid of going real low bead locks or not (I know it is a little different for actual go-fast guys). My normal trail target is 15-16 in my Megacab on 37s with a full camping load (no bead locks). This includes 60-70mph rough fire roads and 100mph lakebed runs :D. In the dunes 12ish.

If you are not moving forward, you are just digging. The difference between self recovery and fucked is how long you stay on the gas. If there is anything not tire touching the dirt when trying to self recover it isn't going to happen. Dig longer, use your jack, fill in the holes under the tires, and probably air down more. A strap is faster and more consistent than recovery boards. Have your recovery equipment somewhere easily reachable.

Every vehicle should have at the minimum: shovel, jack (capable of lifting a tire off the ground), strap, method of attaching strap to vehicle (yours and the one that will be pulling you), and water.

Don't start a Youtube channel right after buying your first Tacoma or Jeep 4dr and try and pretend that you are the god of off road. It is very cringy watching people with 5 spotters trying to fake professionalism on Subaru capable trails. Wouldn't be so bad if it was sold as a beginner just learning as they go.

wear a fucking helmet if you're not in a truck, buggy and or golf cart (FakeZR that is)................ quad/dirt bike specifically

(you might have said that, i cant listen to the video at the moment that i post this. so, excuse me if its included)
Yea, helmets and seat belts are always a good plan.
listen to the old head in the group. they are full of knowledge and can give you lots of advice that can make your time in the desert a lot easier

also remembers murphy law dont underestimate the little things because they will become bigger problems
What is that Loose & Lost shirt/ Sticker you cant be Old and wise if you were never young dumb...

When people wave at you as they pass by, they’re not saying hi. Count the fingers. That’s how many other rigs are following behind them
Hand Signals is a good one. That's a Moto thing as far as I know. It's almost like stopping and telling the leader of the group going the other way what you are doing then they can relay it to their squad. Idk might be far-fetched realistically.
I am doing a whole series on teachable moments through Clean-Dezert. Most of it being etiquette, Such as hand signals, dont burn pallets ect.

The biggest part for this is to do it in such a way that the younger more "know it all" part of the sport might listen and pick something up... And i only say this because that was me at age 20-30... heck still me now. How do we make it cool and not old guys trying to make offroading dumb.

I think it's repetition...If you make a video saying it, we make a video saying it, etc. I think just continuing on the path of what you are doing...You and your squad have opened up the eyes of many people about desert clean-ups and overall stewardship.. funny last night I was getting out of my truck and a neighbor that I have talked to in the past about clean dezert and clean-ups. He was walking by with his wife and says "are you guys doing another desert cleanup?" me.... "ya actually Nov 11! You guys should cruise out! " him .... "uhhhh we'll see, but thats so cool you guys do this!"

Keep in mind this dude is into church and teaching music and I've seen him blading around the neighborhood a few times. (absolute registered beauty) haha Point being things go further than you think sometimes. If we put out the positivity and attempt to educate it's going to help. So Lets GOOOOOOO!

Air down when hit dirt. If for nothing else but the ride improvement. But mainly low pressure helps keep tires planted and increases contact patch. Don't be afraid of going real low bead locks or not (I know it is a little different for actual go-fast guys). My normal trail target is 15-16 in my Megacab on 37s with a full camping load (no bead locks). This includes 60-70mph rough fire roads and 100mph lakebed runs :D. In the dunes 12ish.

If you are not moving forward, you are just digging. The difference between self recovery and fucked is how long you stay on the gas. If there is anything not tire touching the dirt when trying to self recover it isn't going to happen. Dig longer, use your jack, fill in the holes under the tires, and probably air down more. A strap is faster and more consistent than recovery boards. Have your recovery equipment somewhere easily reachable.

Every vehicle should have at the minimum: shovel, jack (capable of lifting a tire off the ground), strap, method of attaching strap to vehicle (yours and the one that will be pulling you), and water.

Don't start a Youtube channel right after buying your first Tacoma or Jeep 4dr and try and pretend that you are the god of off road. It is very cringy watching people with 5 spotters trying to fake professionalism on Subaru capable trails. Wouldn't be so bad if it was sold as a beginner just learning as they go.
yes! all good stuff right there! shit I think you guys have already given me enough for another shitty Youtube video... maybe give myself some bullet points to go off of and actually try more than one take before post it 🤡 haaa or maybe not... Sorry in advance

Yea, helmets and seat belts are always a good plan.

What is that Loose & Lost shirt/ Sticker you cant be Old and wise if you were never young dumb...

Hand Signals is a good one. That's a Moto thing as far as I know. It's almost like stopping and telling the leader of the group going the other way what you are doing then they can relay it to their squad. Idk might be far-fetched realistically.

I think it's repetition...If you make a video saying it, we make a video saying it, etc. I think just continuing on the path of what you are doing...You and your squad have opened up the eyes of many people about desert clean-ups and overall stewardship.. funny last night I was getting out of my truck and a neighbor that I have talked to in the past about clean dezert and clean-ups. He was walking by with his wife and says "are you guys doing another desert cleanup?" me.... "ya actually Nov 11! You guys should cruise out! " him .... "uhhhh we'll see, but thats so cool you guys do this!"

Keep in mind this dude is into church and teaching music and I've seen him blading around the neighborhood a few times. (absolute registered beauty) haha Point being things go further than you think sometimes. If we put out the positivity and attempt to educate it's going to help. So Lets GOOOOOOO!
i love it. Its all good from all around. Its important that we preserve this sport we all love. With so many new people joining daily, i want to make sure it stays positive. Lets get out there and sell our message.

***when they wave A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF FINGGGIES AT YOU, they're telling you how many are behind***
"I keep passing on these fawkin jeepers on the road who tell me there's two more back, but I never see two more back@!@"

1695759929952.png

Oh, and to add to the discussion- Wait at the bottom of hill climbs for the vehicle in front of you to make it completely to the top before attempting. Leave enough runout room for said vehicle to back all the way down in a hurry if they need to.

"I keep passing on these fawkin jeepers on the road who tell me there's two more back, but I never see two more back@!@"

View attachment 14929

Oh, and to add to the discussion- Wait at the bottom of hill climbs for the vehicle in front of you to make it completely to the top before attempting. Leave enough runout room for said vehicle to back all the way down in a hurry if they need to.

To add to this - If you're the one at the top of the hill, don't stop right at the crest. Pull forward enough so people behind you can stop on the flat

Great stuff here, boys.

-spare parts
-tire pump
-don’t get staggeringly hammered/stoned
-don’t share your shitty music in common gathering areas
-be helpful to others, even if they are jeepers or OC fuckboi wannabe overlanders
-water water water water
-high protein snacks

Last edited:
This is a great thread. Here are my contributions:
  • Don't overdrive the lesser of your truck or skills.
  • Avoid solo trips, unless you're familiar with the area and are taking it easy.
  • Make sure someone at home / camp knows where you are going, in case a rescue is needed.
  • Sell your UTV and get a truck.

View attachment 14929

With a 160" wheelbase, lockers, and the diesel... I just push them up when they can't make it. :D

j/k

A few of my big ones!

-Prep your ride- atleast a good once over, nut bolt check and look over everything before going on your first run/long trip
-Eat food and not just drink beer all day (im guilty of this one)
- Prep the trailer- Nothing worse than trying to get TO or FROM the desert stranded
- Bring enough tools/supplies to hopefully get you out of any mild situation you find yourself in
- Bring fuel- easy to get into a situation and think you have plenty of fuel and things come up and end up burning it all.
-Registration- Make sure your Reg is up to date- this applies more for glamis/ocotillo heavily patrolled areas but its just not worth the hassle
-Drive safe- alot of people do not look when riding especially populated places like glamis. Keep your head on a swivel and dont race around camps or heavily trafficked areas. Although we might have good driving skills in our big fast trucks but alot of people especially now a days now that the scene has blown up have no idea what they are doing and it can get dangerous really quickly.

Back