Mojave Road - Thanksgiving 2024 November 27-29/30

Gdeyarmond

Where: Mojave Road (Mohave Trail for the true OGs in this group who predate Statehood) starting at the Arizona border.

Who: Me, my wife, my Tacoma (4x4 6MT), her JL Wrangler (4x4 6MT)

The Deal: I've never done this trip before, or even gone more than 50-60ish miles offroad in one shot. It looks simple enough, I have like 3 different GPS software with offline maps downloaded, Jerry cans, water cans, spare tires, tools, recovery straps, and traction boards (from Costco, so if they don't work I'm returning them), homemade ammo can fire pit (think of tacticool pits, but mine is tactitoocool), plenty of propane, blah blah blah. I feel properly geared up.

The Question: Is November the "right" time to do this trip? Has anyone run into big issues doing this from Arizona heading back into California? What are some tips and pointers for at least a 2-vehicle caravan?

Its not nearly as hard as "overlanders" say it is. Ive ran it more times than I can count in my shitbox 2wd toyota p/u with a fabtech kit and some deavers (and a locker).
It sounds like youre VERY prepared. Ive never done it in Nov, but Oct was nice (still warm in the daytime), and Dec was too cold for me (I think it was an overly cold year or something). Nov *should* be nice. I prefer spring when the deserts blooming and everythings green, but thats just me.
The last time I did it, the trail was so "burned-in" that it wouldve been hard to get lost. It was also full tit-jiggling "razor chop" due to all of the assclowns that run it in their SxS. And we were also stopped where the road crosses Cima rd by some govt nerd in an explorer that was making sure we were street legal. He said the park service was talking about closing it down due to all of the typical reasons they shut shit down for.
How many days are you guys spending out there?

Its not nearly as hard as "overlanders" say it is. Ive ran it more times than I can count in my shitbox 2wd toyota p/u with a fabtech kit and some deavers (and a locker).
It sounds like youre VERY prepared. Ive never done it in Nov, but Oct was nice (still warm in the daytime), and Dec was too cold for me (I think it was an overly cold year or something). Nov *should* be nice. I prefer spring when the deserts blooming and everythings green, but thats just me.
The last time I did it, the trail was so "burned-in" that it wouldve been hard to get lost. It was also full tit-jiggling "razor chop" due to all of the assclowns that run it in their SxS. And we were also stopped where the road crosses Cima rd by some govt nerd in an explorer that was making sure we were street legal. He said the park service was talking about closing it down due to all of the typical reasons they shut shit down for.
How many days are you guys spending out there?
We are planning on doing it in 3 days, 2 nights. November works for our work schedules, yeah the Spring is always nicer out there. Thanks for the insight! Last I checked it was open, but I know they have been bypassing people around the dry lake bed.....although, I did watch some Youtuber drive full speed into what was mud and get sucked into the lake bed.

No tips besides stop at the “hole in the wall” campground and do the little hike trail they’ve got. The view of the valley at the end is incredible.
It’s a very easy trail. We just did it in 3 shit box square body ford explorers and didn’t engage 4wd once.
Have fun!

No tips besides stop at the “hole in the wall” campground and do the little hike trail they’ve got. The view of the valley at the end is incredible.
It’s a very easy trail. We just did it in 3 shit box square body ford explorers and didn’t engage 4wd once.
Have fun!
Thanks for the confidence boost!

Have fun!
Did you just do a truck walk around video with Terra?

Have fun!
Did you camp at any of the BLM campgrounds along the way? Either way, any recommendations for where to stop and camp? I see BLM campgrounds pretty much every 50 miles...so that is a possibility, but I also don't want to listen to some dude's bad playlist all night either.

Did you camp at any of the BLM campgrounds along the way? Either way, any recommendations for where to stop and camp? I see BLM campgrounds pretty much every 50 miles...so that is a possibility, but I also don't want to listen to some dude's bad playlist all night either.

There’s a ton of places to stop and camp. Caruthers canyon is rad but expect it to be cold at night.

We have camped near the Lava Tubes before BUT most of the time we stay at a hotel In Laughlin and dive back. We have also camped in the Kelso Dunes before when we hit Mojave road to end a trip from Nevada or Death Valley.

Back