King Of The Hammers 2025

Planning to go 1/31 - 2/2 for the desert race.. This will be my first time. Still sorting out camping plan (tent or in rig), and where to camp. Bronco is mostly ready. Need to sort out storage, comms, and lights.

For the last 12 years that I've gone, I still wince at people in tents out there. Highly recommend structured shelter, when the wind gets bad, it gets BAD out there. And freezing.
Camp right up against or as close to the base of the hill at turkey claw as possible.

For the last 12 years that I've gone, I still wince at people in tents out there. Highly recommend structured shelter, when the wind gets bad, it gets BAD out there. And freezing.
Camp right up against or as close to the base of the hill at turkey claw as possible.
I keep hearing about the wind. I've tent camped my whole life and do enjoy it, though at 52 I do also enjoy some comfort. But realistically, I'm not going to tow anything out there with my rig. And the RV delivery services look to run about $1100 for 3 nights once all in.

I need to see if I can arrange a way to sleep in the rig.

I would also recommend trying to sleep in your rig. The wind and cold at night isn’t much fun in a tent. There isn’t a lot of room to sleep in my Bronco but it’s better than being outside.

I would also recommend trying to sleep in your rig. The wind and cold at night isn’t much fun in a tent. There isn’t a lot of room to sleep in my Bronco but it’s better than being outside.
How do you configure things inside your Bronco to sleep? Move things out so you can be on the floor in the cargo area? Platform? Front or rear seat?

I'm currently working on how to set up my storage area. Need to get spare, jack, tools, recovery secured/strapped. Then add in trip necessities.

Below is how I set it up at night. During the day all of my gear is tied down across the back of the cargo area.

Remove the rear seat (at home), push the passenger seat all the way forward and move all my gear to the driver side of the cargo area. You will need to make something to fill the floorboard area behind the rear seat so you have a level sleeping area. I just bring extra blankets as a filler and throw a sleeping pad and bag on top of that. It’s good enough for a few nights.

Just a heads up, the early bird half-price tickets are almost gone. The half price also applies to Veteran's tickets, so they are 25 bucks instead of 50 (when the tickets are full price).

I was able to snag some at the Early Bird price, 50 for my wife and 25 for me. So, it's not too bad in the end.

Last edited:
Below is how I set it up at night. During the day all of my gear is tied down across the back of the cargo area.

Remove the rear seat (at home), push the passenger seat all the way forward and move all my gear to the driver side of the cargo area. You will need to make something to fill the floorboard area behind the rear seat so you have a level sleeping area. I just bring extra blankets as a filler and throw a sleeping pad and bag on top of that. It’s good enough for a few nights.
Ok, I am liking this. Hadn't thought of removing the rear seat. But since I'm going solo, it won't matter, and will give a bit more room anyway. Hopefully I will get some time this week to get tie down points put in.

Be there 1/31-2/8 helping with my buddies 4800 car again. And hoping to hang with the bad lines crew as much as possible.

I like going for the sunday desert racing feb 2nd just as a day trip, going home then coming back for the second half of rock donkey week and camping up to the raceday saturday feb 8.
I do the same. Take the wife and little with me on the Sunday trophy truck race and chill at the back straight away for the day. Come back on Tuesday-Sunday with the boys

Be out there Feb 4-Feb 9. We set up camp to the NW of ultra 3 by the foothills of the course. It’s rowdy enough but far enough away from the crazy. For the last 4 years. Also the dust doesn’t settle there too much. But I keep hearing about the Turkey claw area. It’s tough to decide. I feel like once you kind of found your spot to set up for hammers it’s scary to search out for a different place unless you have friends there. But I 100% can’t wait. If you guys have any other recommendations for where to camp at let me know. I might feel frisky and venture out this year

Back