Bench build/hypothetical shock set up for first gen explorer

HarrisConcepts

Hey all,
So i have been pondering some different shock/ suspension options for a 4 door 4wd first gen explorer. For the sake of discussion, d44 full size swap on the front, traditional 4 link in the rear. Primary use will be trail exploration, light pre-running/ chase/ spectating for 4 full size adults and a cooler etc. im wondering if a single 3” coil over, and air bump would be sufficient? Maybe stepping up to an IBP option? I remember some of the older si/newline/kibbe/plank rangers and f150’s ( grey truck/ big bird maybe) ran a single c/o up front and some on the rear also. They may have had a super wazoo race shock im not familiar with. Im not looking to smash Barstow main, but just thinking about packaging limitations with the suv. Any thoughts and opions are appreciated.

It doesn’t take much to get these to work awesome. A single coilover will do a lot, an IBP will do even more. Cookcraft has been developing stuff for this platform that seems to work great.

Very hard to beat a single 3.0 king ibp. That’s all I’m running on the front of mine with a 2.0 bump to help out but even then, I don’t know that it’s really required. I just had them from a previous purchase years ago

Absolutely! Ive seen several builds with a single shock up front, but was curious if a larger diameter, single shock would hang on the rear. And i get there are a ton of factors ( motion ratio, vehicle weight, tire size, driving style etc) that will play into the performance/ longevity etc. thanks for the input

Absolutely yes. Two of my good friends have built fullsize trucks that ran a single 3.0” coilover in the rear with a 4” bump and they worked very well. Granted you don’t get the progression through the travel like you do a bypass shock but with that said they could both still go down Main at a decent pace, and cruise thought most stuff pretty comfortably. Really rough square edge hits they don’t favor too well due to not having a “bump zone”, and big rolling G outs same deal. BUT as long as you have +12” up travel in the rear from ride height it’ll work well regardless. Definitely better than a leaf setup

Thanks for the info! I will shoot for the 12” mark on up travel, i am planning on staying with 35’s for now, but will most likely will try to trim/build for 37”s so i have the option in the future. From what i can tell, full bump on a big tire will be REAL close to the bottom of rear side windows. So we’ll see how that goes

I mean if you are up for a challenge you could go with a mezzanine arm set up on the rear I’ve seen a few suv type run them and they work really well

I have thought alot about some type of mezzanine arm or a bellcrank set up, and depending on how far the snow ball rolls out of control, it is somthing i may look at more seriously. I remember a couple explorers from SD area, i caro fabworks built one and trac performance the other that were both mezzi armed, and were pretty cool. This will all be garage fab (Cardboard Aided Design), so i am a bit leary of the geometrical nightmare of mezzi/ bellcrank/ cantilever stuff, but it may be a good option

Back