Baja - Mission of Goats

DesertGoat

So back in ~feb 2020 before anyone took Covid very seriously, a bunch of my Polygoat amigos did a run to baja Sur for what was most folks' first time.
I called it the Mission of Goats because I modeled the routes after much of the research I had done using Cameron Steele's Trail of Missions videos.
If I ever get the chance I'll have to thank him one day for producing that content so monkeys like me can feel more confident exploring southern baja.
I posted a summary report on our club's forums but i'm waiting around for tests to get run at work on a saturday & figured why the hell not port it over here while I can.

Trip report!
Baja is terrible, nobody should ever ever go. You'll definitely catch the XX virus. Your kids will all somehow die and no fun will be had, for sure.

Follow me, please. We're going to a party south of the border!
ZTRH4Fa.jpg

1st stop, Puerto Nuevo. Birthplace of Team XX. Lobsters for all.
vLLjvzP.jpg

2nd stop, Wendlandt Cervezeria, Ensenada
dNrm3kI.jpg

After an overnight pina colada at the old mill, we start day 2 heading south to our first stop at La Lobera, sea lion colony
YyBiz4r.jpg

38dQAJa.jpg

Bryant breaks rule #1 and this happens on the way back from La Lobera (3 miles of dirt 1 way). Bent inner & outer tie rod. Only has a spare inner (wat?)
mtQdYGy.jpg

SYiXU31.jpg

The team heads south to breakfast at Mama Espinoza's. I go back to SQ with Bryant and both he and his girlfriend jump in my truck for the rest of the journey.
Construction stops us on the highway for 30 minutes. See KDP:
MybOm58.jpg

Abort button on 1st day's dirt because of the tie rod fiasco. Highway all the way to Catavina. Quick stop for cave paintings. I'm sure like 10% of these are authentic:
1z1YR5o.jpg

Highway the rest of the way to Bay of LA for night 2.
Sunrise the next morning:
g0bl0If.jpg

Then we go for gas, but the whole town lost power. No gas. Day 2 dirt plan is ruined because we're all running ~1/2 tank or less with only 20 gallons spare for all 4 trucks. We backtrack a little bit then take an option route through the mountains to Mission San Francisco de Borja. the route spits us out on the other side of the peninsula with gas closer than the original dirt. Plus we got a very very real, sobering, and accurate history via a personal guided tour of the mission from the caretaker. very cool.

7eMJ5GF.jpg

^wish you had smell-o-vision for that one. A light rain really turned up the scents in the mountain dezert
tzJSdBa.jpg

hit the highway out of the mission road. Heading south now past Guerrero Negro on our way to San Ignacio for night 3. Making good time so the team takes a side detour just south of GN. Stopped to model my calves (lol) & show off the T-shirt for Tommy.
RHF5nUI.jpg

San Ignacio is rad. Don't eat the chef's special fish.
ZCz1u9L.jpg

UA7qcpq.jpg

t1ZS6n4.jpg

San Ignacio -> Santa Rosalia
Ewj8L0f.jpg

Qqjr0Aj.jpg

Santa Rosalia we climbed on an old abandoned historical refinery & checked out the steel church designed by Gustaf Eifel.
17fLYsO.jpg

0l9vF2C.jpg

Next stop, Mulege. Could spend more time here, this place was cool.
qgU8IfB.jpg

Next stop, Bahia de Concepcion.
Just before becoming Playa Banditos:
Reby895.jpg

After being Playa Banditos, @ Playa Requeson, 2 sided beach:
2Jx0Qvc.jpg

M5rQEtB.jpg

9bQBMmC.jpg

guVYeUH.jpg

Night 4 & 5. Loreto. Don't think I need to come back here. Very grey-hair focused.
G3y5wGA.jpg

bci1Y4N.jpg

zARDkZn.jpg

ESRz42J.jpg

San Javier Mission
V3TIF14.jpg

400 year old olive tree behind San Javier
DE2b5je.jpg

somewhere north of San Javier
ZxNi0ay.jpg

San jose de comondu
SL0veIa.jpg

F7HM8XF.jpg

La Purisima
VUSCXVQ.jpg

San Juanico. This place deserved a few nights stay.
3v5GhYo.jpg

BLGnAy4.jpg

yvECckz.jpg

Back to the Old Mill for a friday night blowout
4ttTJqk.jpg

JUBbyjW.png

The road home to Ensenada, super green from all the rain.
yXVBoEd.jpg

aOYO6gg.jpg

Last edited:
Back