5TH GEN 4RUNNER FUSE ISSUE

WW_RANGER_X

I have a 2018 Toyota 4runner with 30k miles, and in the last month its blown 2 starter fuses. These fuses are described as "low profile female maxi fuses", basically the square block style fuses with the clear plastic window on top. They both blew while driving, after the vehicle had been started and ran for 5-10 mins. I took what I could apart to clean and inspect. No signs of rodents, everything is fairly clean and is garaged every night. Its bone stock with the exception of LED headlight and fog lights. About a year ago it went into the dealership for a fuel pump recall, other than that the vehicle hasn't been touched. Could this possibly be a bad starter? Anyone have any ideas? TIA!!

Do you know what the fuel pump recall was? Just curious if there may have been any reason to pull the fuse block (or power distribution module) out causing a wire to get pinched in the reassembly process.

I have zero toyota experience but thats the direction I'd be starting with since the two events seem to be close enough together to be related. Also you've verified that there was the correct size fuse in that spot right? The tech could've pulled the fuse so he could cycle the pump without starting the car, maybe a pin pushed back and is now not fully engaging in the fuse? just my thoughts.

Do you know what the fuel pump recall was? Just curious if there may have been any reason to pull the fuse block (or power distribution module) out causing a wire to get pinched in the reassembly process.

I have zero toyota experience but thats the direction I'd be starting with since the two events seem to be close enough together to be related. Also you've verified that there was the correct size fuse in that spot right? The tech could've pulled the fuse so he could cycle the pump without starting the car, maybe a pin pushed back and is now not fully engaging in the fuse? just my thoughts.
The recall was for the fuel pump itself, so from my understanding all they did was pull the tank to R&R the pump. With this being done over a year ago I find it hard to believe that this would be causing the problem. But hell I could be wrong.

I verified that the 30a fuse that’s in it is what’s supposed to be in there.

Plot twist. My wife just mentioned to me (she daily drives it)....(This info woulda been nice to know lady!) that both times it’s happened she was under heavy braking, coming up to a yellow light. I feel like this could be a good clue lol. Not sure which direction to go, so I’m going to daily drive it for now. I’ll be aggressive with it and see if it happens a third time.

In a past time, i had something similar happen, not during hard braking but whilst turning on.
I took the starter motor out and cleaned all electrical contact points. Kept happening.
In my case, it turned out to be a loose battery terminal.

The recall was for the fuel pump itself, so from my understanding all they did was pull the tank to R&R the pump. With this being done over a year ago I find it hard to believe that this would be causing the problem. But hell I could be wrong.

I verified that the 30a fuse that’s in it is what’s supposed to be in there.

Plot twist. My wife just mentioned to me (she daily drives it)....(This info woulda been nice to know lady!) that both times it’s happened she was under heavy braking, coming up to a yellow light. I feel like this could be a good clue lol. Not sure which direction to go, so I’m going to daily drive it for now. I’ll be aggressive with it and see if it happens a third time.
Well for starters I guess I should pay attention better when I'm reading, not sure why I thought that the recall service was performed a month ago not a year ago... my bad!

Does it have that function where it shuts off and restarts itself sitting at stoplights and what not? not that it really matters, just curious.

Back