27.5 VS 29er

Initially, all mountain bikes used 26-inch wheels, but 27.5- and 29-inch wheels were introduced for better traction and obstacle handling. 27.5-inch wheels are smaller and lighter, which can make the bike more maneuverable and agile; this is suitable for technical trails. While a 29er is for more open or downhill terrain.

Last edited:
What kind of travel are you guys running? This is for the trail/all mountain guys. Not so much “enduro”. I ride trails that are alittle much for my bike and it has 130mm forks. I see a lot of trail bikes with 130 front and rear? That ok on tougher single track? Or would a 150 fork do better?
150/140 is the lowest travel I personally would go. 140/120 is probably plenty for most of our local trails but you would still want aggressive trail geo. My last bike was a Trance Advanced 27.5 with a 160 front air shaft and a long stroked rear at just under 150. Great all around bike. Just didn't stand out at anything. My current bike is a YT decoy Mullet 170/165. It goes through stuff at speed that would probably upset my Giant. The 29 front feels way more planted through stuff. The bottom bracket it way lower feeling than my Giant. I strike all the time.

Back