What's a good Race radio you can type in Channels

With most (not all) cell phones now moving out of 8/900 digital and moving into 12/1400 band many public safety are moving into 8/900 and talk groups to where a bunch of entitys (think Police, fire, animal control, public works) can all be on the same frequency and talk within their specific talk groups. That and the P25 smartnet crap is kind of neat. But that means that most are moving out of VHF band which can free up some space.

And like I've said before on this thread, MOST doesn't mean ALL. Don't need folks getting all up in a tiffy because their uncle daddy has an auntie momma and she runs a taxi / animal control/ AmBuLance company two days a month and it's whole operation runs on 1 frequency smack dab in the middle of the VHF band.
Hey Heer-o... f**k you 🖕

Also, glad you aint dead yet and still pop in here or the other site, buddy. Never knew it could still cause static, i wasnt given that info.

Hey Heer-o... f**k you 🖕

Also, glad you aint dead yet and still pop in here or the other site, buddy. Never knew it could still cause static, i wasnt given that info.
😘😘
Yeah I'm still alive. Just have a ton of shit going on and none of it fun.

As far as the static, thats what happened when we used radios that weren't programmed for the repeater. The other radios couldn't hear what we were saying, but every time they or dispatch transmitted while the training radios were transmitting it would cause gnarly static / interference.

Last edited:
So I got a Kenwood tm281a off eBay but it appears to be a newer model that has different circuit board so I can't modify it. Gonna put it back up on ebay to sell and buy another used one and hope that'a an older model with same internals to modify.

So from my research the radio I got is brand new in Kenwood box and everything. But I have read that they are Chinese knockoffs that function the same, but you can't Mars mod them to operate at the higher frequency like a race radio does. So it's back on eBay. I'm going to sell it and hopefully not lose too much money

Curious if anyone has experience with Vertex radios? specifically a VX 2200? I got a freebie from work that supposedly needed repair, figured I'd screw with it and see if I could get it working again. From what I can tell its a 50W, powers up, speaker works... Obviously it'll need reprogrammed but if its useless even in working order I wont waste the time

Curious if anyone has experience with Vertex radios? specifically a VX 2200? I got a freebie from work that supposedly needed repair, figured I'd screw with it and see if I could get it working again. From what I can tell its a 50W, powers up, speaker works... Obviously it'll need reprogrammed but if its useless even in working order I wont waste the time
i had bought one back in like 2004. Didnt realize it was a uhf model... and ended up replacing it with a vhf which i believe is still in my buddies truck today.

i had bought one back in like 2004. Didnt realize it was a uhf model... and ended up replacing it with a vhf which i believe is still in my buddies truck today.
Guess I'll do some more digging and see which one it is before I mess with it. I'm pretty sure we operated with VHF radios but never bothered to know for sure...

Back