Ditch Loop Trail Work

Endless Trails

Who is into the work side of the ride? Post below if you have a trail you want help with.
I will start with the loop behind my house in Simi. @badlinesgoodtimes showed me the goods. It doesn't get used enough to naturally keep the brush knocked back. I am going to start lapping it a bunch more to get my legs back but the brush is frustrating. I think I am going to hike it with a shovel and a cordless weed whip either Thursday or Friday morning. Plan to hike it backwards. Up the steep and down the long road. We could go back to my house after for some burgers and dogs. There is only a few spots that could use dirt moved. So it shouldn't be too tough. I will probably park at the end of Black street as it is the most direct hike in spot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220726-084828_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20220726-084828_Strava.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 8
As far as what I know needs work.
The road up needs a lot of mustard and tumble weeds cleared. It has a few sand traps that could be dug out. Maybe a made wide in a few spots so you are not stuck in the mini bike rut. That second steep climb could use a line made where it doesn't have as many golf/tennis ball rocks.
The down hill just needs brush cleared for sight lines. I probably wouldn't change all that much as it flows pretty well as it is. I think some fun things could be added after you cross the road down to the trees.

Shane and I started on the back side Friday and cleared mostly up to the bottom of the steep and narrow. I need something better to remove some bushes on this end.
We hiked up and over. The only thing we did to the downhill is cleared a bit of the grass on the narrow ridge and built some dirt to get up and over the cross trail pipe.
We cleared some of the grass off the top heading down but ran out of battery. This still needs more clearing and raked.

20220729_090901.jpgI hiked in the front of the trail Friday morning but forgot to bring back up string and went through what I had left from the day before real quick. That was a waste.

20220729_141223.jpgI did a experiment with double loading the 0.80 Dewalt twine. It worked way better as I ended up going through 2 5ah batteries and 1 of the newer light weight drill motor batteries and still have twine on the spool. I hear the Echo Black Diamond is the twine to get so I will be picking up a spool of 0.95 to run when I run out of the Dewalt.

20220730_112613.jpg20220730_114905.jpg20220730_113253.jpg20220730_123627.jpg
Some before and after on the field right before the climb really starts. This was today's work. I got about 99% done before the last battery died.
I think I have to figure out what I want to use to remove bushes and do a hike with it next. Then hike up further with the weed eater and rake to get the rest of the mustard and grass.
I hope to get a lap in after work before my next day off.

After riding it yesterday I am having a hard time deciding what to do next. It will probably be more grass / weed clearance as it is easiest. There are a few spots that could definitely use a work party with some real tools. There is a section about half way up with a bunch of nuisance rocks, sand traps, and the moto groove that kill your momentum.

Today's non planed project.

Also the climb is way nicer not having to worry about being perfectly on line. I still am not strong enough to make it without a few breaks.

I finished a re route of the trail to bypass the first bit of long ruts. It dumps you out right at the bottom of where the trail narrows up on the last bit of climb before you transition into the upper section. I am up in the air which way I want to go from here. Fixing up the existing trail is going to take a bunch of work to fill in the rut and remove the sand traps. It is amazing the extra energy it takes when you have to use a bunch of body english to get up a trail due to off cambers and ruts. The section also needs some work to give water a place to flow that isn't right down the trail. I might scout another much larger re route to the left of the trail. It will add some distance but I can probably keep the grade more manageable this way.

This weekend is going to be a hot one so we will see how much I get done. You guys need to come up and do a lap. All I see are hiker and moto tracks.

I finished a re route of the trail to bypass the first bit of long ruts. It dumps you out right at the bottom of where the trail narrows up on the last bit of climb before you transition into the upper section. I am up in the air which way I want to go from here. Fixing up the existing trail is going to take a bunch of work to fill in the rut and remove the sand traps. It is amazing the extra energy it takes when you have to use a bunch of body english to get up a trail due to off cambers and ruts. The section also needs some work to give water a place to flow that isn't right down the trail. I might scout another much larger re route to the left of the trail. It will add some distance but I can probably keep the grade more manageable this way.

This weekend is going to be a hot one so we will see how much I get done. You guys need to come up and do a lap. All I see are hiker and moto tracks.
next week we'll come shred it!

20220910_161855.jpg
New section off to a good start. Got it cut all the way to the turn. Hope to get up a few times this upcoming week before my vacation.

Screenshot_20220911-093434_Strava.jpg
I got the section underlined in blue done. Need to work on the switchback some. I would like to climb out of the switch back, vs climb in the middle of the switch back.

Back