Recommendation for garage fab bender

Thefuntruck

Hey guys,
Planning to buy a JD2 model 32 bender unless someone can recommend a reasonable alternative.
Just garage fab projects, working on my own stuff.
Thanks for the input.

JD2 is a go-to for us garage fabbers. I hardly use mine anymore but nice to have when you need it.

I'd strongly recommend the SWAG hydraulic kit to go with it.

I’ve been using the affordable bender for years just cuz it was free. I wouldn’t pay money for it tho 😂
get the jd2 you’ll never regret it.

I’ve been using the affordable bender for years just cuz it was free. I wouldn’t pay money for it tho 😂
get the jd2 you’ll never regret it.

Same! For a first bender, the entry price of $400 with two dies has made it an awesome value. But I've been on the search for a JD2 or GMR setup. I have a file and material to make my own JD2, I just need to do it lol. Buying is easier.

definetly the JD2. I as well have the affordable bender. Things kind of a pile but It gets the job done and was cheap when i bought it years ago.

I was tempted by the affordable bender but I was thinking buy once cry once kind of thing.
How bad is the affordable bender. It looks decent, especially since you don’t have to put it on the stand.

I was tempted by the affordable bender but I was thinking buy once cry once kind of thing.
How bad is the affordable bender. It looks decent, especially since you don’t have to put it on the stand.

It’s great for .120 wall mild steel. I ruined the frame with 1.75x.120 4130. Ended up rebuilding, but it can only bend 90* (not even a full 90*), and larger bed radius

Honestly its not terrible. It gets the job done for sure. Its small and portable which is one of the nice things about it. Mild steel and DOM it does good. As mentioned above it has a pretty big bend radius so it wont work for everything but it definitely gets the job done. Really comes down to how much you want to spend and how often your using it and your needs.

the affordable bender built my whole truck among several others over the 15yrs I’ve had it (bought it used too). It has its down falls but it gets the job done. Broke 1 die bending 1.75” .120 DOM but the replacement came much thicker and hasn’t had any issues.

Few examples of what it will do.

Attachments

• IMG_6101.jpeg
    IMG_6101.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6102.jpeg
    IMG_6102.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6103.jpeg
    IMG_6103.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6104.jpeg
    IMG_6104.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6106.jpeg
    IMG_6106.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6108.jpeg
    IMG_6108.jpeg
    410.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6105.jpeg
    IMG_6105.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6107.jpeg
    IMG_6107.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Very cool.
That really seems like all you would need for a garage guy.
That looks great. If you can get a deal on jd2 seems like the move, but if your buying new it’s hard to beat the AB.

I bought my JD2 Model 3 in 2000 second hand. Still works great, I did convert it to air over hydraulic with the JD2 kit. If I did it again I'd use a longer ram and just mount it to the cart it's on. The JD2 will do way beefier material with hydraulics. I've done 2" .188 wall dom.

the affordable bender built my whole truck among several others over the 15yrs I’ve had it (bought it used too). It has its down falls but it gets the job done. Broke 1 die bending 1.75” .120 DOM but the replacement came much thicker and hasn’t had any issues.

Few examples of what it will do.

I've had one for about that long now too.

Added a cart and air over hydro ram from HF

xcFeSh.jpg

RTz8N1.jpg

Back