rebuild for 20+ yr sitting truck

95_Bluwhale

What’s a checklist to try and get a motor that’s been sitting for over 20 years to get it fired to find the issues that may or may not be there when it was parked it’s a 1978 ford 351m (I know such a waste of money on a shitty motor but that’s what’s in it and it’s been in the family 4 generations) but trying to be efficient with spending by not putting money into a useless paper weight if the stories were as bad as my dad says engine went low oil pressure and driven home unknown miles by my grandfather and says he heard a knocking and let sit for longer than my whole life truck has like 27k miles on the odometer

Attachments

• IMG_0926.jpeg
    IMG_0926.jpeg
    864 KB · Views: 8
About 15yrs ago I was in a similar situation.

I did an oil change (with some cheap-o oil) and checked the old oil for metal (like ^ said). I also pulled the plugs and poured mystery oil (or at least that what I think it was, I cant remember now) down each hole. Then I turned it over by hand a few times to make sure it was turning freely. After that, I cranked it over a few times with the starter (no spark plugs). Finally, I put new plugs in it, poured some gas in the carb, and tried to fire it.

In my case, it didnt start. IIRC I had to replace some electrical stuff before it fired up. After that, I did a new fuel pump, rebuilt the carb, new belts/hoses, etc. Was a fun project that I wish I never sold.

Well today I start by just cleaning the whole engine bay as much as I can to get a cleanish slate but will for sure check for metal in the filter once I can get the truck lifted on some jacks and get underneath

More pics when you drag it out.
It’s going to be a while before it gets drug out but we did crank it over and got it fired up on ether but not long enough to hear any knocking but here’s a old pic of it when it ran its got the shell so it can be registered as a passenger vehicle for some reason my dad didn’t really explain why but I want it off I have some old school 15” center lines I’m going to use with some 33’s once it’s running while I get the lift figured out and eventually the 4x4 conversion and 35’s maybe even 37’sResized_Resized_20231005_231737.jpeg

Watch 5 or 6 Vice Grip Garage revivals on YouTube and it'll show you exactly the steps on what to do. Make sure carb linkage moves free. Check that it has oil and no water or anything mixed with the oil. Remove spark plugs and look to see if they are even wear and color to make sure that one isn't super covered in oil showing a cylinder has a potential problem. Then turn over motor by hand at least 360 degree rotation. Then you can hook up battery and jump solenoid on inner fender. Once it's spinning good you can check spark. If good spark throw in new plugs, dump some gas into the carb and see if it fires. Also I would disconnect the fuel line from gas tank into the fuel pump to prevent bad old gas from getting pumped into the carb. If it fires with gas down carb then hook up a small gas can to fuel pump and disconnect line to carb and check if it's working you can have it suck fuel from gas can to see if it will idle or run extended periods off the carb. If it does then you're golden. Top off radiator with water. If the carb is gummed up and needs to be cleaned you'll notice once trying to drive the truck. I would also get it to idle and get up to temp while checking water to see if it's circulating which will show the t-stat is working. I would also get the motor warmed up some before draining and changing the oil so the sludge will get loosened up and drain out of the oil pan a little better.

That truck is pretty simple to get running. I just got a 76 f150 running after it was sitting for 15+ years as well and it all went easily. Pull plugs, turn over engine. hook up starter, check fuel pump feeding carb. If it does than check spark and get it running. If it doesn't try and fire then you have bigger problems and you get to diagnose it step by step.

ALSO i have a set of 2" lift coils for the pre 79 f150's that will get you to fit a larger 33 or 35" tire with a little trimming. Biggest problem with the older kingpin beams and lift coils is having to bend them to get camber correct without camber adjusters like ball joint front ends.

I just hooked up a battery and cranked it after tapping the solenoid it started cranking slowly until everything freed up or it got a good connection and we got it to start already going to do an oil change this weekend to see what’s in the oil and filter and those coils would be nice but all the money is going to just getting it running not ready for suspension just yet as it doesn’t even have tires that can hold air

Back