December 28th-31st Afton Canyon

Bootlegthepirate

I'm doing a family friendly trip to Afton Canyon a few days after Christmas. We plan to leave on New Years eve before it gets loud with fireworks etc. I have a few buddies coming out to join in for some light off roading and check out the sights. I've been camping at Afton since I was 10 and can't figure out if OHV stuff is allowed out there. I'm finding conflicting information on OHV at Afton. I've always been out there in trucks or on my Dual Sport with plates, so I've never thought twice about it. One of my buddies wants to bring his RZR RS1 and I don't want to get him into trouble. Anyone know the rules out there on Mojave Trail?

If anyone wants to join, post up and let me know. I plan to be out there before noon on the 28th with my wife and two kids with our RV and Bronco. I might bring my little RZR 800 too if anyone can clarify the rules out there. Just a laid back trip for the kids with their toys, a campfire, lots of good meat eating and beer drinking.

I doubt you'll get busted; but technically, you have to be street legal on Mojave Road.

I'm doing a family friendly trip to Afton Canyon a few days after Christmas. We plan to leave on New Years eve before it gets loud with fireworks etc. I have a few buddies coming out to join in for some light off roading and check out the sights. I've been camping at Afton since I was 10 and can't figure out if OHV stuff is allowed out there. I'm finding conflicting information on OHV at Afton. I've always been out there in trucks or on my Dual Sport with plates, so I've never thought twice about it. One of my buddies wants to bring his RZR RS1 and I don't want to get him into trouble. Anyone know the rules out there on Mojave Trail?

If anyone wants to join, post up and let me know. I plan to be out there before noon on the 28th with my wife and two kids with our RV and Bronco. I might bring my little RZR 800 too if anyone can clarify the rules out there. Just a laid back trip for the kids with their toys, a campfire, lots of good meat eating and beer drinking.
I don't believe that area is technically a national reserve yet. I Believe the reserve starts at or after the lake bed. The map below shows the border. Basin rd and then after canyon are called out.

1670945293042.png

Between Afton Canyon and Razor Rd exits on the 15 is all OHV land called Razor road OHV and its the best desert around for camping. Very little traffic as its not very know to be open land. Most people just pass thru on the mojave trail. Wally is right the preserve does not start till right before Soda dry lake bed and there's signs and a fence cant miss it. Lots of sand out there and cool spots to check out.

Between Afton Canyon and Razor Rd exits on the 15 is all OHV land called Razor road OHV and its the best desert around for camping. Very little traffic as its not very know to be open land. Most people just pass thru on the mojave trail. Wally is right the preserve does not start till right before Soda dry lake bed and there's signs and a fence cant miss it. Lots of sand out there and cool spots to check out.
shhhhhhhhhhhh not too loud!

Back