What a Trip 2024 V2R. Pit 5 in Goldfield, Nv. 200+ dirt miles after back home

WW_RANGER_X

It all started a few months ago when a couple of my Raptor buddies asked if I wanted to volunteer with them for BITD to work this year’s Vegas to Reno race, then hit 200+ dirt miles on our way back home after the race. I tried as hard as I could financially to make this happen and I’m so glad I did. Bucket list trip for me!

Let’s start with getting to the race and the race itself.

Us 3 gen1 raptor guys met up in Bakersfield on Thursday morning. The plan started with heading to Ridgecrest for some tacos at a really good taco trailer where another friend was going to meet and tag along with us in his Jeep JK.

IMG_4337.jpeg

After some great tacos we pressed on to the Trona Pinnacles. End goal for this day was arriving in Goldfield NV by the end of the night, with a few cool desert stops along the way.

IMG_4338.jpeg

IMG_4340.jpeg

IMG_4343.jpeg

After the Pinnacles we passed through the town of Trona and made our way to Ballarat ghost town.

IMG_4351.jpeg

IMG_4354.jpeg

IMG_4358.jpeg

IMG_4359.jpeg

IMG_4361.jpeg

IMG_4362.jpeg

IMG_4365.jpeg

IMG_4367.jpeg

From there we hit dirt for about 10 miles where we met back up with Trona road again heading to the 190 towards Death Valley.

IMG_4368.jpeg

IMG_4370.jpeg

Check that temp.

IMG_4371.jpeg

IMG_4372.jpeg

I’ll continue to update this. I’m doing this from my phone and I don’t want to lose what I’ve already started for any reason.

Heck yeah! I was going to ask if it was hot as balls....then I saw your rearview mirror 115 LOL

From the car forest we hit highway 95 south and jumped on dirt shortly after that to cut out a chuck of pavement that led us to the 266 west bound. Super fun and fast road. Long rollers, big sweeping turns. Average speed was 70-80 mph.

IMG_4465.jpeg

IMG_4466.jpeg

IMG_4467.jpeg

After some road miles we finally made it to highway 168 and crossed back into California. We hit dirt south which dropped us deep into Death Valley. We found a sulfur mine along the way.

IMG_4468.jpeg

IMG_4469.jpeg

IMG_4470.jpeg

IMG_4471.jpeg

IMG_4472.jpeg

IMG_4473.jpeg

Next stop was Crankshaft Crossing. Not much to see here to be honest lol.

IMG_4474.jpeg

Headed south down Death Valley road and stopped at Ubehebe Crater. It was so fucking windy everyone was getting sand blasted so that stop was short lived.

IMG_4475.jpeg

Tourists doing tourists things

IMG_4535.png

We pressed on to Teakettle Junction. The road was a fast but rough road. I was glad to see the teakettle sign in the distance because I was rattled to death lol.

IMG_4477.jpeg

IMG_4478.jpeg

This next section was the funnest (for me). We headed south east up and over Hunter Mountain. Smooth road yet tight and a little technical. Got us up into the trees at I believe 7000 feet in elevation. Dropped back down to Saline Valley Rd.

IMG_4479.jpeg

IMG_4480.jpeg

IMG_4481.jpeg

IMG_4482.jpeg

IMG_4483.jpeg

IMG_4484.jpeg

IMG_4485.jpeg

Next stop was Box Car Cabin. It’s funny, I felt a little at home here knowing we were just here a few months ago on our Lonely Pinos trip. Was cool to see my son’s art he left.

IMG_4486.jpeg

After Box Car Cabin we hit highway 190 then climbed our way up to Cerro Gordo. When we passed through in April “tours” were closed. I was glad to see it open this time. I believe we went up the wrong direction (same as we did in April). Tons of on coming traffic and people giving us dirty looks. I do know there is another route up there. There are spots where it would be impossible to pass. I’m so glad we had all our oncoming traffic towards the bottom of the hill. It’s really steep and narrow towards the top.

IMG_4487.jpeg

IMG_4488.jpeg

IMG_4489.jpegIMG_4490.jpeg

IMG_4491.jpeg

IMG_4492.jpeg

IMG_4493.jpeg

IMG_4494.jpeg

IMG_4495.jpeg

IMG_4496.jpeg

We were all getting a pretty hungry so we B lined down the hill and into Lone Pine where we had Pizza. After dinner a couple of the guys split which left us with 4 trucks total. Last spot of the trip before camp was Reward Mine. This place was insane. It was such a long day I chickened out on driving through the whole thing. So I backed in to get some pics like a poser lol. Still cool. If someone doesn’t know about this place, it’s an old mine that you can drive about a quarter of a mile into the mountain. There is room to turn around at the very end. Looking back, I kick my self in the ass for not going all the way down but I promise I’ll do it next time. I know my son would get a kick out of it. The climb up was a little tough. 4wd would be recommended if you ask me. You may be able to do it in 2wd with a locker.

IMG_4497.jpeg

IMG_4536.png

IMG_4499.jpeg

IMG_4502.jpeg

IMG_4503.jpeg

IMG_4504.jpeg

IMG_4506.jpeg

IMG_4507.jpeg

At this point in the day we were at 260 miles. I would say 60 of those miles were highway. I was beat. Last stop was camp in Alabama hills. I’ll say I was glad to be there lol. Total round trip for me was 966 miles and 78 gallons of fuel. I know other guys were way over 1k depending on where they lived. It was a very eventful 4 days. Now it’s time to clean, fix and prep for the next one!

IMG_4510.jpeg

IMG_4509.jpeg

IMG_4517.jpeg

IMG_4519.jpeg

IMG_4530.jpeg

IMG_4524.jpeg

IMG_4531.jpeg

IMG_4534.jpeg

🤘🏻Good times!

We were happy you were able to make the trip! Thank you for taking so many great pictures and for making sure us Gen 1 guys had good functioning shocks hahaha. For anyone reading this, we volunteer to work this race every year. Anyone with a cool attitude and a vehicle that can make the trip is welcome!

I’ve done it in an open diff 2wd Ranger a few times but to be fair it was NEVER as bad as it is now. I think the rains have really washed out that road. There are a lot of big rocks to navigate now. Still something I’m sure a 2wd can get done, but it’s definitely not as easy as it used to be.

Back